[texbirds] Re: Shorebirding in the Lower RGV and South Padre Island

  • From: "Rex Stanford" <calidris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TexBirds" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2013 12:20:19 -0500

Some of our readers might wish to see a list of  the species (N=26) of
shorebirds that we, jointly with Erik and Mary Breden, found yesterday
(08/08/13) in Cameron County and to know where in the county we found
particular species. Erik earlier today in "[texbirds] Shorebirding in the
Lower RGV and South Padre Island" noted that we shorebirded the  resaca
south of the intersection of Rangerville Road  (FM-1479) and Jimenez  Road
(west side of Rangerville Road) and the bayside shoreline/sandflats
northwest of the SPI Convention Center, the sites where most of our species
were found. Additionally, our group birded two additional sites, the TX-48
boat launch area on the east side of that highway between Brownsville and
Port Isabel and the Bejaro-McFarland Memorial County Park boardwalk at
Laguna Heights. Here are the observations of (mainly) shorebird species by
site in the order of our having visited those four sites yesterday (morning
through late afternoon).

RESACA SOUTH OF INTERSECTION OF RANGERVILLE ROAD (FM-1479) AND JIMENEZ ROAD
(on west side of FM-1479) during morning: KILLDEER, BLACK-NECKED STILT,
AMERICAN AVOCET, LESSER YELLOWLEGS, SPOTTED  SANDPIPER, SEMIPALMATED
SANDPIPER, WESTERN SANDPIPER, LEAST SANDPIPER, STILT  SANDPIPER, LONG-BILLED
DOWITCHER, and WILSON'S PHALAROPE. The dominant species here were Stilt
Sandpiper with a likely estimate of 40 individuals and Least and
Semipalmated Sandpipers (ca. 12-14 of each of these two species). The Stilt
Sandpipers exhibited a substantial range of plumages from slightly molting
breeding (alternate) plumage to mainly winter (basic) plumage. Also meriting
mention, although not a shorebird, is ROSEATE SPOONBILL, of which there was
quite a show with 16 individuals actively feeding and moving about the
resaca. Total = 11 shorebird species.

TX-48 BOAT LAUNCH AREA (EAST SIDE OF HIGHWAY) in mid-day: WILSON'S PLOVER
(widespread and numerous, especially, as usual at this site, on the north
side of the waterway; est. 18-20); SEMIPALMATED PLOVER (1); AMERICAN
OYSTERCATCHER (2); GREATER YELLOWLEGS (1); WILLET (widespread, est. 16-20);
RUDDY TURNSTONE (2); WESTERN SANDPIPER (1); and LEAST SANDPIPER (several,
widespread). For a long time we have enjoyed seeing two (sometimes 1) adult
Oystercatcher(s) here accompanied by a fully-fledged youngster. Yesterday
the youngster was not found. This area was birded around mid-day, but
viewing conditions and photography are usually far better in the late
afternoon with a low sun angle. Total = 8 shorebird species (6 new for the
day, bringing day-total to 17 species).

LAGUNA MADRE (BAY) SHORELINE AND SANDFLATS NORTHWEST OF SPI CONVENTION
CENTER in the afternoon: BLACK-BELLIED PLOVER (2); SNOWY PLOVER (5 OR 6);
PIPING PLOVER (at least 40, the dominant species for this site yesterday);
WILLET (several); MARBLED GODWIT (4); RED KNOT (7); SANDERLING (many,
"everywhere" and in a wonderful array of plumages from almost fully breeding
to winter plumage);  WESTERN SANDPIPER (4); LEAST SANDPIPER (many,
widespread); and "last but not least" (no avian pun intended), BAIRD'S
SANDPIPER (2, a delightful surprise in this habitat, especially since we had
not seen this species in two sod-field areas visited earlier yesterday).
Total = 10 shorebird species (7 new for the day, bringing our day-count for
shorebird species to 24 shorebird species).

BEJARO-MCFARLAND MEMORIAL COUNTY PARK boardwalk (Laguna Heights) in late
afternoon: We decided to round out our day here, hoping to find two curlew
species not found earlier. Shortly upon entering the boardwalk we found
those two species: Whimbrel (1, an exciting surprise) and LONG-BILLED CURLEW
(1, thought long overdue for the day), both standing together in a cove that
was mangrove-wooded on the sides, just east of the boardwalk. These curlews
gave us satisfying looks and the opportunity for a few photos but quickly
flew off together. We were not surprised at seeing the Long-billed Curlew
but were surprised that we had not found that species earlier in the day.
The Whimbrel is a much-desired, but not easy to find, species for this time
of year. Based on past experience, we had been hopeful, nonetheless, that we
might find it from the boardwalk at this little county park, at least if the
water level were not too high and the season were right. Both were suitable,
and this attractive species did not disappoint us. This site added 2 new
shorebird species for the day. Trip total shorebird species = 26.

Wishing everyone the best of fall-migration birding,
Rex and Birgit Stanford