[texbirds] September 22 Government Canyon SNA birds

  • From: "Stevan Hawkins" <shawkins4@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TexBirds" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2012 09:10:25 -0500

TexBirders:

This past Saturday James Sheppard and I did a scouting trip for the "Birding
for Beginners:  Observing the Fall Migration"
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/calendar/birding-for-beginners-observing-the-fal
l-migration field trip that he is leading this coming Saturday, September
29.  The list he compiled, along with my comments in some cases, is below.
Red-eyed Vireo and American Goldfinch were the only "JS-only" species for
the day.  The route we took is in part of what is becoming "The Birders'
Route".  We were also curious about the impact of the recent controlled
burn.  What we saw was less extensive than I had anticipated.   As usual at
Government Canyon, the birds we encountered came in clumps. The headquarters
area continues to be a good place to find birds.  If anything, the burn
seemed to have enhanced our list.

Before anyone raises any fuss:  The Golden-cheeked Warbler was a call-only
bird that dumbfounded both of us when we heard it;  When we heard it, we
looked at each other with a "Did you hear what I think it was?", and then
discussed the bird;  We heard it in thick brush in a non-public part of
Government Canyon SNA
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/state-parks/government-canyon .  As late in the
season as this bird was, it is doubtful that it is still there.

Onward!

Steve

Stevan Hawkins and James Sheppard

Activities Committee, members

Friends of Government Canyon

Harris Hawk--Outside GCSNA:  It was about 1/8-1/4 mile NE of the
Galm-Shanefield Rd intersection.  It was a lifer for James.

Blue Jay

Western Scrub Jay :  Only a few were calling.

Chimney Swift

Northern Mockingbird

Scissor-tailed Flycatcher

White-eyed Vireo

Red-eyed Vireo

Black-crested Titmouse

Carolina Wren

Bewick's Wren

Northern Cardinal

Turkey Vulture

Black Vulture

Common Raven

American Kestrel:  First of the season for me

Ground Ground-Dove

Greater Roadrunner

House Finch

American Goldfinch