[texbirds] Seabrook Grace's warbler Persists (Dec 29)

  • From: "Berner Family" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "jcazberner" for DMARC)
  • To: Texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2015 03:08:08 +0000 (UTC)

Texbirders:For those still interested in seeing this bird. Tim Perkins and I
had Grace's warbler about 100 yards North along the eastern edge from the
corner of the field in a medium height and tall pine a bit in from the edge
just before 2PM.
I have placed a tall stick in a fire ant mound near the location if anyone is
planning to look for the bird tomorrow. The accompanying flock had two pine
warblers and three yellow-rumped (myrtle) warblers. The Grace's was not seen
between 7:20 A.M. and 1:55 P.M. Despite a continual presence in the corner of
the field and various places in the woods by 2-6 birders. Several of us traded
off searching the woods and staying in the field.
After we saw it, the small loose flock headed east into the woods towards the
white stone foundation off the brown gravel trail. Tim White was kind enough to
email me that he had the Grace's and a small flock after 3PM on Dec 28--in the
woods just east of the "24" marker on the brown gravel trail (pretty near white
stone foundation) also straight east of where we had it today. From quizzing
many folks about their sightings,  looks like Grace's has appeared in various
areas in the pines near or on the N-S gravel path in addition to sightings in
he pine trees on the edge of the field near the SE corner of the field over the
last week since Martha H's discovery Dec 18. Many but not all sightings are
with a small flock. Surprisingly, quite a few sightings are in the early-mid
afternoon--not typically a good time for birding the woods in my experience.
Note this recently cleared field is shown on Google maps--satellite but field
does not appear on Google Earth--Thanks to all who gave me advice on refinding
this bird.Parking is S. of Red Bluff on Park rd. Bird is NE of parking on N.
side of Red Bluff
John BThe Berners
John, Cathy, Abby and Zach