[texbirds] Re: Scraps for nest building

  • From: Joseph Kennedy <josephkennedy36@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Brush Freeman <brushfreeman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2014 15:11:22 -0600

One of the great things to put out for nest builders is cat or dog hair
from when pets are groomed. If you do not have a pet of your own, try
brushing a visiting animal for goodies or ask the owner for extra fur.
Titmice will do almost anything for hair including stealing it from Brush's
dead critter or sleeping dogs or raccoons.
In a trice, lint from the dryer could work but is probably too mushy and
would absorb moisture in the nest more than natural hair.

Another great thing at this time of year is egg shells which are currently
loved by chickadees, titmice and Carolina wrens. Calcium shortage is
endemic in texas soils and eggshells help supplement the ability to produce
strong eggs. Note that chicken scratch includes tiny bits of eggshells for
the same reason. I start saving eggshells in the freezer around
thanksgiving so that I can put it out starting in late January.

Joseph C. Kennedy
on Buffalo Bayou in West Houston
Josephkennedy36@xxxxxxxxx