[texbirds] Re: Scraps for nest building

  • From: "Paul and Georgean Kyle" <dwa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wbburkett@xxxxxxx>, <custom_heirlooms@xxxxxxxxx>, <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2014 14:50:00 -0600

Agreed.  When we were actively rehabilitating birds in the 1980s, we once
took in four nestling Scissor-tailed Flycatchers.  Two of them had thread
wrapped around their legs from the nesting material, and all of their feet
had atrophied and died.  Please do not put out string and thread for birds.
If you feel you must, cut it into short 1" pieces.

Best Regards,

Paul and Georgean Kyle
Project Directors
Driftwood Wildlife Association
www.ChimneySwifts.org

Sanctuary Stewards
Travis Audubon's Chaetura Canyon Sanctuary
www.TravisAudubon.org