[texbirds] Scott's Oriole in Live Oak County

  • From: Roel Loera <loeraroel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2012 02:27:51 -0600

While driving on US 281 N I found a Scotts Oriole at the bridge at Ramirena
Creek (right at the sign actually). A very beautiful Male (blackhead, breast,
back, and tip of tail. Bright yellow belly and bright yellow "shoulders" aka
lesser coverts). It flew across from West to Eastright behind the creek sign. I
was going to stop and park to bird the area so I was able to see it fly to a
tree on the side of the creek. At first I tried making it anything other than
Scott's Oriole, but there isnothing else that is close in my experience. THere
is no mistaking the yellow for orange or even a possible Audubons. Unfortunaley
I didn't have a camera. Not sure on records for the area but just wanted to
post since it was my first Scott's South of San Antonio. Maybe someone can
confirm if in the area. Here are gps coordinates in m/d/s:

N28 08 28.29
W98 06 12.67

Roel
San Antonio