[texbirds] Re: Scissortail Behavior

  • From: "Collins, Fred (Commissioner Pct. 3)" <FCollins@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: TexBirds TexBirds Posting <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2015 18:38:56 +0000

I suppose many observers have become familiar with this behavior during all
night vigils at hospitals, taking breaks to walk off stress in the parking lot.
It is obviously a widespread and common phenomena to see Scissortails, Western
Kingbirds and other species taking advantage of the lights.
Since one reason birds come north to breed is extended daylight so that they
can forage for more young, it makes perfect sense for them to take this
advantage. Since most temperate climates are now so well lit, I wonder if birds
are now taking advantage of night lights generally. Will they and future
species adapt to lights as oppose to latitude?

Fred Collins, Director
Kleb Woods Nature Center
20303 Draper Road,Tomball TX 77377
281-357-5324