[texbirds] Scaup ID Help and Camp Mabry -- Sunday 3rd

  • From: Elliott Gordon <tengalloncat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TexBirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2013 13:11:08 -0600

I was originally going to Laguna Gloria to look for the Least Bittern, but
they were setting up for an event this morning. I am glad that I went to
Camp Mabry, it was great birding to go with the gorgeous weather.
Scaup problems: There were two individuals with rounder, green heads at the
pond. I took pictures, but can not make heads or tails. The birds in
question are mostly on the left side or alone in the photos. All comments
welcome!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gordonbird/sets/72157632624868219/ (the ones
labeled Scaup -- I will try to add details)

The large pond was really productive, with Blue-winged Teals, Wood
Ducks, Lesser
Scaups, Great Egret, Great Blue Heron, a Red-shouldered Hawk chasing a
Red-tailed Hawk, two Sharp-shinned Hawks calling each other, and a chirping
Purple Martin. I was able to see and hear the dull Pine Warbler (one of two
reported by Jake McCumber).

I also got a good lesson in Cormorant ID this morning. There were two
individuals with white around the bill that my pictures show to be juvenile
Double-crested. Please comment on this too.

NO on Golden-cheeked Warblers from Baker Sanctuary yesterday.

March is off to a good start.

Elliott M. Gordon
Austin, TX