[texbirds] Re: Sayersville Road (both nuthatches)

  • From: Brush Freeman <brushfreeman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2013 21:28:37 -0600

I am very glad you enjoyed it..Another WBNU!...This is a pretty rare
species in the area. .Bastrop Co. birders are proud to have the route....If
I may, let me provide a easier way and perhaps add to the pleasure in terms
of options and directions.  Just go into old town Bastrop, turn north on
Main St. and follow several miles to the Phelan Cemetery across the RR
tracks (A town, Phelan,  once existed here and was a major stop for coal
trains )...Those hills just beyond are the result of caved in mines and
spoil) from there continue straight..... allows a great drive thru the open
Steiner Ranch old pecan bottoms etc. Take your time and stop often but
even on the unfenced ranch, please stay on the main road ...Be sure to
check out the cattle pens carefully.  There are numerous ponds and small
lakes.  Just continue on and just before you come to a railroad trestle
there will be a road on the left going north, this is actually Old Sayers
Rd...Sayer's Rd will be the one you are leaving...This is one of the oldest
roads in Bastrop Co and it follows along Sandy Creek which you will cross 2
times (3 if you drive to the RR. which is just a few hundred yd.s from that
turn)....Old Sayers continues north toward Elgin....Watch for a road call
Arbuckle Rd. on your left after several miles, turn on it...this again
crosses Sandy Crk. and is a great birding stop...I often stop here by the
little bridge and walk the road...Past this you will eventually hit FM 1704
and from there you can decide where you want to go next.  It is good in
winter and summer.