[texbirds] Santa Margarita Ranch.

  • From: Brush Freeman <brushfreeman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <Texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2014 13:17:07 -0500

Keith Wolfe
Cross posting...This is too bad but good to know. I recaqll many a trip and
Brown Jays at SM.
"
Is LTC 79 Santa Margarita Ranch
(
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/wildlife/wildlife-trails/coastal/lower/falcon-loop
)
in west Starr County still open to the public?  This private property was
excellent for birds and butterflies years ago, but the last two times I
tried to visit, the gravel road down to the house, where you paid a nominal
fee, and Rio Grande beyond was closed -- gate shut, chained, and locked.
What's the latest, please?  Muchas gracias!
Berry Nall
1:10 PM (2 minutes ago)

I spoke to the owner. He said the ranch is no longer open to the public.
Concerns about smuggling and violence were the reason for the decision to
close the ranch.

Brush Freeman
503-551-5150 Cell
120 N. Red Bud Trail. Elgin, Tx. 78621