[texbirds] Santa Ana, good birds and flycatcher ID help requested

  • From: Robert Becker <robertjbecker@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2013 15:31:23 -0700 (PDT)

I birded Santa NWR today and found lots of cool birds to enjoy. A good breeze
and overhead clouds made for a comfortable morning.

I found a big-headed flycatcher at the east end of Willow Lake, near where Dan
Jones and Mary Gustafson reported the Rose-throated Becard.  The bird looked
like a Becard as it flew, but not so much when perched. I think it had been
bathing and its feathers were fluffed out, as was its crest. The colors didn't
quite match the Becard. I took a couple of photos here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/13451078@N03/9336185647/

and here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/13451078@N03/9336183995/

I would appreciate ID help on this. I have seen this species (Becard) before,
but this one looks different. Please reply off-line.

There is a small pond to your left as you take Pintail Lakes Trail going west
off the tram road. I found the flycatcher here, as well as three Ocrhard
Orioles, a male Painted Bunting, two Brown-crested Flycatchers, two displaying
Kiskadees, and a posing Green Kingfisher. There also was an Altamira Oriole
near the Hawk Tower.I walked the Rio Grande river trail (Pintail Loop), and
found a perched Northern Rough-winged Swallow. Not much else on the river.

Additional photos are here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/13451078@N03/with/9336183995/

Bob Becker
Rancho Viejo