[texbirds] Santa Ana NWR--early migration plus second half of breeding season

  • From: Tim Brush <txbrush5@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TexBirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2014 13:19:32 -0500

This morning I spent a couple hours in the old headquarters and Pintail
Lakes area of Santa Ana National Wildlife Refuge. Many family groups and
independent Brown-crested Flycatchers were around, as were some wading
birds in the remnant pool of Pintail 1--the northeasternmost section--there
I saw a pair of American Avocets, as well as some stilts and Mottled Ducks,
plus my first Lesser Yellowlegs of the "fall." I was interested to see one
of the Red-shouldered Hawks that has been reporte this summer, a full-grown
juvenile basically on its own, but still seeming to beg a bit. A male Blue
Grosbeak sang from various "edges" around Pintail and along the levee. I
saw two Green Kingfishers (they have been a bit hard to come by in the
Valley this summer), along in Willow 1, the little pond along the tour
road, and the other down by the river south of Pintail. Nothing really
unusual, but great to be out.
Regards,
Tim Brush
Edinburg, TX