[texbirds] San Bernard NWR CBC

  • From: "Ron Weeks" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "ronweeks" for DMARC)
  • To: TexBirds TexBirds Posting <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2015 18:15:02 +0000 (UTC)

TexBirders,
For those interested in the San Bernard NWR CBC, it will be on Friday December
18th.  You can either contact Jennifer Wilson or myself (see below for contact
info) or simply show up at the refuge headquarters on CR306 at 0630 hours on
count morning.  I am guaranteeing less rain than last year :).  Free seafood
gumbo if I am wrong.
Ron Weeks
San Bernard NWR (TXSB): Dec 18th
This unique count provides opportunities to bird areas of the refuge not
normally open to the public, including the Bludworth tract along Cocklebur
Slough and the nearby McNeill tract which boasts the official state champion
Live Oak. Also open for counters is the state's Nannie Stringfellow Wildlife
Management Area. We have rail buggy slots open for those hoping to see Yellow
and possibly even Black Rails. This count also claims some of the best
hospitality around with the refuge staff providing an air boat, rail buggy, and
4WD trucks. We will have our historic chefs, Ron Bisbee and Marty Cornell,
heading up the team cooking the famous countdown dinner of seafood gumbo!
Although this count still provides the small count atmosphere, it has plenty of
big count diversity with 190 or more species most years. Contact the
co-compilers Ron Weeks (ronweeks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx or phone evenings 979-299-0066)
and Jennifer Wilson (jennifer_wilson@xxxxxxx or phone daytime 979-964-4011) to
sign up.