[texbirds] San Antonio Audubon's phone message October 25

  • From: "Georgina Schwartz" <gbird@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "Georgina Schwartz" <gbird@xxxxxxx>, "SATXbirds" <SATXbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2013 22:14:17 -0500

SAAS Phone Message October 25, 2013

Telephone number: 210-308-6788

Georgina Schwartz recording.

Hello, this is the San Antonio Audubon Society with our

October 25 recording of recent bird sightings and an update

on coming activities.

If you just want to leave a message or report a bird sighting, you

 may do so at any time by pressing 5 on your Touch-Tone Phone

 and recording after the beep. Just be sure to add your name and

 repeat your phone number please.

We do not rescue baby or crippled birds. Call Wildlife Rescue and

Rehabilitation at 830-336-2725 for assistance. For Owls or Hawks

call Last Chance Forever at 210-499-4080. In most cases the parents

 will be back.

You may also access our website at www.saaudubon.org for more

 Information about the club, a membership form, directions to the

birding places,  a complete  list of the birds of Bexar County, our

recent newsletters, and some photos of interest.

Presently there is a Red-bellied Woodpecker and a Pileated

Woodpecker seen at the Crescent Bend Nature park in NE

Bexar county. The next field trip there is this next Sunday,

October 27. Meet Sandi Wheeler at 8 AM at the park.

From I-10 east turn north on 1518 and go to Schaffer Road

and the brown sign to the park. Turn right and go 3 miles to

 the park just before the crossing of Cibolo creek,

And thank you for reporting your birds to this tape so others

can find them.

The San Antonio Audubon Society has been a birding, education,

and conservation club since 1954..

Our November program is our annual banquet and it is on November 12,

A TUESDAY.at Tomatillos on Broadway. The deadline for reservations

is November 1. Call Patsy Inglet for details at 210-698-8445 and to
see if

there is any room left to hear famous birder, Paul Baicich, talk about

"The Dozen most important things you can do for Birds and Bird
Conservation."

The next birdwalk is at Eisenhower Park on Tuesday, Nov 5, led by

Jane Henry beginning at 8 AM. This park is at 19399 NW Military Drive

just before the entrance to Camp Bullis. .Meet near the restrooms.

The next Beginner's bird walk starts at the Judson Nature Trails

 near the Alamo Heights swimming pool on Viesca Street on

Saturday, October 12.. Meet leaders Nelson and Lilia Seffel

at 8:00AM  Directions: at the  5900 block on Broadway, turn

 west on Ogden Street and go to the stop sign at Greely St.

Turn left one block and then right  on Viesca and go

to the parking lot on the left before the swimming pool.

We have some binoculars to lend out, so bring a friend.

Also on Saturday, November 9, we are going to the Pullin Ranch at

Whitsett. Meet Georgina Schwartz and Kevin Bensmiller at the

gate to the ranch at 8 AM. Take I-37 south to FM99 and exit

 toward Whitsett. Make a pit stop at one of the stores at this

intersection. Go to alt.US 281 and make a left for two blocks

and turn right on .Burke St and go to the end. Bring snacks, water,

and lunch. This is a walking around trip. Info Georgina at
210-342-2073

Tuesday, November 19, at 8 AM we will go again to the

Crescent Bend Nature Park in N E Bexar county.

And on Thursday, November 21, at 8 AM we will meet Bill Zwartjes

 at McAllister Park at the first parking lot off of Jones-Maltsberger.

The park is 0.75 mile north of Starcrest just past the police station.

Bring snacks and water.

There will be bird walks at Mitchell Lake Audubon Center

Beginning  at 8 AM on the 1st Sunday, 2nd Sunday, 3rd Sunday,

and the 2nd Tuesday   The 4th Saturday trip always starts at 8 AM..

The Mitchell Lake Audubon Center is open each Saturday,  Sunday,

and Monday  from 8 to 4. A small fee is charged since this place is
now

 an Audubon Center.  Just ring the buzzer and they will open the gate.

Other hours are available by appointment.  Just call the Center

at  210-628-1639. The gate is on the left 0.7 mile south of loop

410 Moursund Blvd, exit #46.

There is a bird walk on the third Saturday of each month at 9 AM

at the San Antonio Botanical Garden. This is not a SAAS trip, but

is usually very interesting. There is a fee for entrance to the
garden.

Every one is welcome at our activities and you don't have to be a

member to participate. If you would like more information or

 membership in our group, just leave your name and phone number

after the beep and someone will return your call.

Happy Birding!