[texbirds] San Antonio Audubon Soceity phone message Septebmer 23 2013

  • From: "Georgina Schwartz" <gbird@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "Debbie Engler" <dengler53@xxxxxxx>, "SATXbirds" <SATXbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2013 12:05:29 -0500

SAAS Phone Message September 23 2013

Telephone number: 210-308-6788

Georgina Schwartz recording.

Hello, this is the San Antonio Audubon Society with our

September 23 recording of recent bird sightings and an update

on coming activities.

If you just want to leave a message or report a bird sighting, you

 may do so at any time by pressing 5 on your Touch-Tone Phone

 and recording after the beep. Just be sure to add your name and

 repeat your phone number please.

We do not rescue baby or crippled birds. Call Wildlife Rescue and

Rehabilitation at 830-336-2725 for assistance. For Owls or Hawks

call Last Chance Forever at 210-499-4080. In most cases the parents

 will be back. Just keep the cats away.

You may also access our website at www.saaudubon.org for more

 Information about the club, a membership form, directions to the

birding places,  a complete  list of the birds of Bexar County, our

recent newsletters, and some photos of interest.

Presently we are looking to confirm a sighting of a Red-bellied

Woodpecker in the area of Symphony Lane near the San Antonio

River. in souith San Antonio. Please leave a message if you have seen
it.

And thank you for reporting your birds to this tape so others

can find them.

The San Antonio Audubon Society has been a birding, education,

and conservation club since 1954. We meet on the first Thursday

of each month at 7 PM at the First Tee building at 915 E Mulberry

at the south end of Brackenridge park.

Our October 3  program will be Elizabeth Bates reporting on the

Foraging Ecology of Reddish Egrets. She is currently the wildlife

biologist for Comal and Kendall counties..

The next birdwalk begins at the Cibolo Nature Center in Boerne on

Saturday, October 5, at 8 AM. Barbara and Dennis Trujillo will lead

this walk followed by a trip to Boerne Lake. There is a charge of $12

per car there, so we will carpool to get there. Lunch at a restaurant.

You must RSVP to Barbara or Dennis at 210-867-0719

On Sunday, October 6, we are meeting Patsy and Alan Kuentz

at the convenience store at Loop 1604 and highway 16 South at

8AM to go to the Land Heritage Institute property in South Bexar

county. We will convoy to the property on Neal road.

$3 per person contribution is expected.

The next Beginner's bird walk starts at the Judson Nature Trails

 near the Alamo Heights swimming pool on Viesca Street on

Saturday, October 12.. Meet leader Georgina Schwartz

at 8:00AM Directions: at the  5900 block on Broadway, turn

 west on Ogden Street and go to the stop sign at Greely St.

Turn left one block and then right  on Viesca and go

to the parking lot on the left before the swimming pool.

We have some binoculars to lend out, so bring a friend.

Georgina's phone number is 210-342-2073

This month the walk is followed by San Antonio Audubon 's

annual picnic beginning at 11:30AM

Sunday, October 13, we will meet at the Joshua Springs Park

 in Kendall County at 8 AM. Directions: take I-10 west to the

Welfare exit beyond Boerne. Follow FM289 past PoPo's and go

 under I-10 and turn right.  Watch for the entrance on the left

and meet in the first parking lot. Lunch in Boerne.

Please RSVP to Desi D'Orsogna at 830-755-8642.

Tuesday, October 22 we are at the Medina River Natural Area

in south Bexar county at 8 AM. Meet leader Helen Rejzek in the

main parking lot. Take HWY 16 south from loop410 4.2 miles to

the entry on the left just before the Medina River bridge.

Lunch at a local restaurant.

Sunday, October 27,  we meet Sandi Wheeler  at the Crescent

Bend Nature Park at 8AM. From San Antonio take I-10 east to

FM 1518, exit and go north to Schafer Rd and the brown sign

to.the park. Turn right and go 3 miles to the park on the left

just before the Cibolo Creek crossing. Bring snacks

and water. Lunch at a local restaurant.

There will be bird walks at Mitchell Lake Audubon Center

Beginning  at 8 AM on the 1st Sunday, 2nd Sunday, 3rd Sunday,

and the 2nd Tuesday  The Mitchell Lake Audubon Center is open

each Saturday and  Sunday from 8 to 4. A small fee is charged since

 this place is now an Audubon Center.  Just ring the buzzer and

they will open the gate.Other hours are available by appointment.

Just call the Center at  210-628-1639. The gate is on the left 0.7
mile

south of loop 410 Moursund Blvd, exit #46.

There is a bird walk on the third Saturday of each month at 9 AM

at the San Antonio Botanical Garden. This is not a SAAS trip, but

is usually very interesting. There is a fee for entrance to the
garden.

Every one is welcome at our activities and you don't have to be a

member to participate. If you would like more information or

 membership in our group, just leave your name and phone number

after the beep and someone will return your call.

Happy Birding!