[texbirds] Salineño (LTC 080), Jan 21, 2013

  • From: Tim Brush <txbrush5@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TexBirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2013 16:14:08 -0600

Nice morning at Salineño, first scoping out the river, where the two Gray
Hawks around the upstream island impressed us most, but plenty of ducks,
cormorants, etc., were around. Then we checked the feeding area run by
USFWS volunteers who re-stocked the station on schedule between 8 and 8:30
(while we were still checking the river's birds). It's along the little
trail that leads south from the upper part of the river parking area. There
were 4 subadult (second-year) Altamira Orioles at the same time and then 4
adults at the same time, plus an adult male Hooded Orioles, as highlights
for us. We heard an Audubon's Oriole singing and it may have visited the
station as we were leaving, from a comment we partially heard.
Note that 2 loud airboats with Border Patrol agents blast downriver around
8:00 AM, temporarily scaring everything--but no Muscovies or Red-billed
Pigeons were spotted.

On the way to Falcon State Park, we saw a Say's Phoebe along the Salineño
cut-off/dump road. I had read about it on Texbirds a while back, and
fortunately we stopped at the right spot, before you get to the ranch
property entrance lined with junipers.

Regards and good birding,
Tim and John Brush
Edinburg, TX