[texbirds] Sabine Woods update

  • From: steve mayes <sgmayes@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TEXBirds posts <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 May 2012 02:41:05 +0000

TEXBirders, For anyone who is interested, some of our unusual birds are still
hanging around Sabine Woods.  The Tropical Mockingbird is still easily seen in
the open areas in the front of the woods and spends time sitting on a nest is
shares with a Northern Mockingbird.  The male Golden-fronted Woodpecker (or
whatever we've decided to call it) has been joined by a female Golden-fronted.
This bird is definitely no hybrid, with a white rump and all black tail.  Not
sure if they are nesting but both have explored several holes in dead sangs.
Migrants are down greatly as you would expect but there were still multiple
Redstarts, Magnolias and Bay-breasted Warblers around Saturday along with a
Chestnut-sided Warbler, a Phildelphia Vireo and several Red-eyed Vireos.
Mosquitos and Deer Flies were a bit of a problem but I've seen them worse.Good
luck if you go looking! Steve MayesPort Arthur, TX