[texbirds] Sabine Woods birds

  • From: steve mayes <sgmayes@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TEXBirds posts <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2014 02:35:29 +0000

TEXBirders,

As has been reported elsewhere along the upper coast, Sabine Woods received one
of the better early season warbler days in recent years today.  At least 14
species of warbler were reliably reported some of those in impressive numbers.
Hooded Warblers were everywhere and Black and White Warblers, Northern Parulas
and Worm-eating Warblers along with White-eyed and Yellow-throated Vireos were
also numerous.  There were smaller numbers of Blue-winged Warbler, Louisiana
Waterthursh, Tennessee Warbler, Black-throated Green Warbler and Prothonotary
Warbler present as well along with a few Red-eyed Vireos and Wood Thrushes.
I was only able to experience it for a couple of hours in the afternoon after
work but I'm told it was hopping all day.  Many birds, including Hooded and
Yellow-throated Warblers were feeding on the ground in the open in newly
brush-hogged and mown fields making all of the photographers very happy.
I suspect these birds will not stick around long as the winds had already died
down this afternoon but it was a really great day for late March!

Steve Mayes
Nederland, TX