[texbirds] Sabine Woods April 17

  • From: Carolyn Dill <carolyn_dill@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Texbirds (texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2015 23:00:19 +0000 (UTC)

I arrived at Sabine Woods before  8 AM, after a long night of severe
thunderstorms, the remains still present in the sky but the rains gone. This
weather has resulted in a large number of migrants still present in the
morning. The grounds were heavily flooded and waterproof boots very
convenient.By 10 AM, the numbers of warblers and vireos thinned down and were
replaced by flycatchers. I left about 2 PM when there seemed to be the lowest
number of migrants and the wind from the south was picking up. Altogether it
was a 22 warbler, 5 vireo day. (three of the warblers I didn't personally see
but they were on the sign up board.)
Warblers:
American RedstartBlue wingedBlackpollB&WBlack throated GreenBrewster's hybrid
(I didnt see this one myself)CeruleanChestnut sidedCommon YellowthroatGolden
wingedHooded (most numerous species)KentuckyLousiana Waterthrush (1)Northern
Waterthrush  (dozens)
Northern ParulaOvenbirdPalmSwainson's  (I didn't see this one myself)Worm
eatingYellowYellow throated
Vireos:
Red eyedWhite eyedYellow throatedBlue headedWarbling
Flycatchers:
Scissor tailedLeastWillow/AlderAcadianOlive sided (most numerous species, at
least 5)Eastern Wood Pewee
Others:
Swainson's ThrushWood Thrush (most numerous thrush present, dozens)VeeryYellow
billed Cuckooreported Black billed (which I didn't see)Bobolink (I didn't
see)Orchard and Balitmore OriolesIndigo BuntingYellow bellied SapsuckerDowny
WoodpeckerGreen Heron (half a dozen)Barn, Tree, Swallows, Purple MartinBank
Swallows past Sea Rim SPChimney SwiftRuby throated HummingbirdRose breasted
GrosbeakGray CatbirdSwamp SparrowBlue Jays, Cardinals, Mockingbirds, Great
tailed Grackle (residents)
I cannot bird tomorrow (sob) somebody post what they see!
Carolyn DillHouston