[texbirds] Sabal Palm Walk

  • From: "" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "dbenn65010@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2015 20:55:03 -0400

We had three orioles species at Sabal Palm including six or maybe seven
individuals between the visitor center and the parking lot this morning
(Saturday).  They included a pair of Hooded Orioles, a pair of Altamira Orioles
and one for sure and maybe two male Orchard Orioles.  Also from the sidewalk
was a Clay-colored Thrush and two Buff-bellied Hummingbirds and, of course, the
nesting Great Horned Owls.  One of the new hatchlings showed briefly beside the
adult.  We had a total of six Buff-bellied Hummingbirds for the day and lots of
newly arrived Couch's Kingbirds to supplement the birds that spent the winter
with us. We heard a Gray Hawk calling from time to time.
On a side note, I found a pair of nesting Loggerhead Shrikes in a parking lot
tree in urban Brownsville yesterday.
David Benn
Brownsville