[texbirds] SPI terns, vireos and a strange warbler

  • From: Robert Becker <robertjbecker@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 11 May 2013 20:26:00 -0700 (PDT)

Birding was quite lively at SPI Friday, with a good movement of warblers,
vireos and shorebirds. At one point a Blackburnian Warbler joined a splashing
Tennessee and a Black-throated Green in the water feature. Magnolias and
Chestnut-sided Warblers and Philadelphia Vireos were abundant. Baltimore and
Orchard Orioles were also present. Most unusual bird of the day was a passerine
I initially misidentified as a Blue-headed Vireo, but others later pegged it a
leucistic Canada Warbler. It has the black necklace, but no trace of yellow
underneath. I would like to hear any dissenting opinions.

Terns were in good variety on the beach behind the Convention Center. My
favorite, the Black Tern was there, plus Royal, Least, Forster's and Sandwich.
There also were Sanderlings, Ruddy Turnstones, a single Willet, three Dunlin, 1
Short-billed Dowitcher, more than a dozen Black Skimmers,  and three or four
Black-bellied Plovers.

Photo highlights are here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/13451078@N03/

and here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/13451078@N03/page2/