[texbirds] Ruff at Anahuac today - photos

  • From: David McDonald <dkmmdpa@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2014 18:07:01 -0500

Hi Texbirders,

Thanks to Ron Weeks finding the Ruff again yesterday.

I went there about 8am and Bert Frenz with his group had the bird
about 50 feet off the viewing platform.

The bright orange legs were distinctive.

http://www.pbase.com/davidmcd/image/155402935

http://www.pbase.com/davidmcd/image/155402936

Here are a couple photos of the bird upright.

http://www.pbase.com/davidmcd/image/155402937

http://www.pbase.com/davidmcd/image/155402938

She walked back and forth in the same area and chased away any
yellowlegs that came close. She left the dowitchers alone.

It was very windy and when she turned her back to wind, the feathers
went askew.

http://www.pbase.com/davidmcd/image/155402939

I went back two more times hoping to get her closer. The last time, I
was the only person on the platform and she did approach about 1/3 way closer.
The boldly barred tertials can be clearly seen. A spitting image of
the Sibley illustration except the barring on the breast isn't as dark.

http://www.pbase.com/davidmcd/image/155402940

What a great bird!

David McDonald
Friendswood TX