[texbirds] Ruff

  • From: Dennis Shepler <dawgler@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2014 06:03:42 -0500

Howdy texbirders,
The issue regarding the id of a bird (stated by me as either an oil-stained
Pectoral Sandpiper or a molting Ruff) that John Tharp and I found on 8mi
Rd, Galveston Island, is still in limbo.  Videos and photos are still being
analyzed.  All of the information gleaned from birders will be submitted to
the Texas Birds Record Committee of the Texas Ornithological Society (
http://www.texasbirds.org/tbrc/).  Once again, I thank all of those how
have contributed photos and comments regarding this id challenge.  From my
initial observations, I felt that the bird in question was a Ruff.  That
said, I have seen Ruffs previously and only want to have this bird
correctly identified.  I hope that it is accepted by the TBRC as a Ruff for
those birders for whom this is a "lifer'.
Thanks
Dennis
Galveston
ps At least it wasn't a Tropical Mockingbird. : )
--
W. Dennis Shepler