[texbirds] Ruddy Ground Dove Report from Zapata Picnic Area

  • From: David Sarkozi <david@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TexBirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 May 2014 16:59:53 -0500

I don't usually forward messages to TEXBIRDS, I get too many request,
but this one seems important enough to break my rule.This message was
in the moderation queue for TEXBIRDS from 4/29/2014 It had expired
before I found it

David Sarkozi, List Owner
Houston, TX

I know, I knowŠ  But I really did see a male RUDDY GROUND-DOVE from the
river overlook behind the picnic area three miles north of Zapata on Hwy.
83.  This was yesterday morning, 28 April.  I'm quite familiar with this
species as well as COMMON GROUND-DOVE from Mexico and points south.  The
bird flew right to left right in front of me, crossing over to the Mexican
side of the river.  Lighting excellent; 10X40 Swarovskis at 200 yards.
Warm rufous on entire upper parts and warmly suffused on flanks and
underparts.  No scaling.

I tried to post this to e-bird but it kept kicking me out with the
comments section.

Tom Love (visiting birder from Portland, OR)
tlove AT linfield DOT edu