[texbirds] Rough legged Hawk Galveston

  • From: Carolyn Dill <carolyn_dill@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2013 13:43:13 -0800 (PST)

Nice what the north wind blew in!

I found a rough legged hawk close to 3005 on Galveston Island,
north side, just before  you enter San Luis Pass, before the blue
ball watertower. I first noticed it hovering low over the prairie,
with a white tail and thick black terminal band. It has pale wing
patch topside. Bottomside, black wingtips, white underwing primaries,
black "wrists", solid black belly, cream pale head and breast. I
think it's an adult female, light phase.

It hung around at least two hours. Likes to sit on top of telephone
pole when not hovering.

Carolyn Dill
Houston