[texbirds] Roadrunner nesting?

  • From: Beth McBroom <bethmcb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 May 2014 09:24:31 -0500

Yesterday afternoon my daughter opened the door to a little used 2nd floor
balcony at my house just NW of San Antonio.  She startled a roadrunner, who
left behind two eggs in a chair.  I watched for the bird to come back for
about 30 minutes and then periodically.  The roadrunner has not returned as
far as I know.  The eggs are in the same position as when I first saw them.
 I've made the balcony off limits, but there is a window next to the chair.
 The window is tinted and quite reflective from the outside, but activity
level on the inside high and necessary (it's a bathroom).  No curtains or
blinds on the window, but I used cardboard to block the roadrunner's view.
 Any chance the roadrunner will come back after leaving the eggs for at
least 16 hours?  Anything else I should do?
Beth McBroom
Helotes, TX