[texbirds] River Road (Guadeloupe Delta), Magpic Ridge, & Aransas NWR (longish)

  • From: "Mary Beth Stowe" <mbstowe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2015 20:05:39 -0500

Hi, all!

Headed to River Road this morning, and it was quite foggy and sultry;
Cardinals, Mockers, and Carolina Wrens were the main songsters at first, but
then I heard a woodpecker "song" with a rather flat tone, and figured I must
be back in Golden-fronted country! But later on I heard the more musical,
two-toned "song" of a Red-bellied, and wondered if I was losing my mind!
Nope - according to the TOS Handbook, they both occur here! And what really
threw me was the accelerating laugh of a Pileated Woodpecker! Come to find
out that a few do occur in this part of the Guadeloupe River Delta (it was
even on the EBird list)!

There are a couple of river accesses, but lemme tell ya, you donated two
gallons of blood to check it out! L I must have gone through six of those
Off wipes; they work for awhile, but after the "juice" evaporates (or
whatever), the beasties are back on ya! Got a Green Heron out of it, and a
great look at a chickadee (sad to think that I'll be out of their territory
soon)!

Swallows were all over the place, of course; unless they were calling, it
was hard to ID some of them against the backlight, but on the way out
several of them sat on a wire, and the photos reveal mostly Barn, but also a
few Bank and Cliff (had Roughwings, but not on the wire), but what surprised
me was a Tree that I hadn't noticed! Add one to the list total! J

At one point a feral hog bolted across the road right about where I needed
to stop, and as I was listening I heard some grunting off to the side, so I
was hoping I wouldn't get charged or something! Two Brahma cows with a calf
were in the road, and on the way back they had been joined by a bunch of
Cattle Egrets!

Was pleased to hear several Yellow-billed Cuckoos singing, as I was dubious
about that one up in the Pineywoods (but at the same time, I don't know what
else would have been making a sound like that)! We're also back into
Brown-crested Flycatcher country, and Painted Buntings were singing and
showing themselves nicely (one was even singing while sitting in the middle
of the road)! Only a few migrant songbirds showed themselves (a single
Indigo Bunting and Blue Grosbeak, Yellow and Nashville Warblers, some
Baltimore Orioles and Catbirds, and a couple of Black-and-white Warblers),
but out in the open area added a whole new set of birds, including
Scissor-tailed Flycatcher, Eastern Meadowlarks, Upland Sandpipers overhead,
some cormorants and a whistling duck, and best of all, a big flock of
Franklin's Gulls! They were so pretty with their white "bracelets" and pink
breasts!

An Osprey was trying to eat breakfast as I approached, but I got distracted
by a little brown bird that shot into the bush, which turned out to be a
Vesper Sparrow! I would have thought they'd be long gone by now! The
Dickcissels that had been flying over earlier with their brat calls were now
sitting up singing, and just before hitting the highway was a wetland with a
bunch of yellowlegs, a stilt, a Solitary Sandpiper, a Tricolored Heron, and
some White Ibis!

That didn't take me all morning, so I decided to check out Magnolia Beach
and Magic Ridge. The beach had some nice birds for the day, including what
I'm assuming was a really ratty-looking first-year Herring Gull unless
someone wants to try and turn it into a Lesser Black-backed! J A Reddish
Egret was a nice addition, but there weren't many shorebirds besides
turnstones and Sanderlings. Over at Magic Ridge there was a little more
action, with both Baltimore and Orchard Orioles, a female Scarlet Tanager,
several more buntings (mainly Indigo), a brief look at a Magnolia Warbler,
and a Curve-billed Thrasher singing his heart out! (In perusing the TOS
Handbook I'm noticing that a lot of these things are on the very edge of
their range here.) Over on the other side where the observation deck is,
two Lincoln's Sparrows popped up to pishing.

Had lunch watching the beach, then headed on down to Aransas. I really do
love this place - the trees are great for migrants to hide in, and the big
old oaks are so majestic! After paying my fee the first place I stopped was
the Birding Trail #1 (as I was hearing loud chirping that I suspected was a
Swainson's Warbler), and that turned out to be a very productive stop: a
rather robust call was competing with the chirp, and after a bit of pishing
the perp showed himself to be an Ovenbird! Shortly after that the
Swainson's Warbler confirmed himself and came in for pictures (skulkily, of
course), along with a Black-and-white, Tennessee, and Black-throated Green!
A little further on the trail was a Great Crested Flycatcher, and driving
down the road were two hen Turkeys!

Thankfully the mosquitoes weren't bad along that trail, but I didn't get far
on Dagger Point as I was being swamped with the little buggers (although I
picked up a Ground Dove on the way in)! The Big Tree Trail wasn't too bad
(or else my wipe was working), and ran into a few feeding flocks in there
that included more orioles and Black-and-whites, plus a Blue-gray
Gnatcatcher. White-eyed Vireos were all over, but I did hear a
Yellow-throated singing. There was a pewee catching bugs (including a Red
Admiral, of which there were many), but silhouetted against the sky was an
Olive-sided Flycatcher! On the back side of the trail that opens up into
the wetland was a mixed flock of buntings and Chipping Sparrows. I thought
I had something really great when I stumbled upon this bright orange damsel,
but it was just a female Rambur's Forktail.

I didn't expect to see a whole lot on the auto tour, but did pick up another
Olive-sided, and a Western Kingbird to boot. A little flock of Lark
Sparrows was nice, but that was about it for the loop. A stop at the Bay
Overlook was enjoyable, but what shocked me was a Common Loon out in the bay
- in breeding plumage yet! I never expected to see that now!

Had to wrap it up and head for Rockport for the night.

Bird List:

Black-bellied Whistling-Duck Dendrocygna autumnalis

Northern Bobwhite Colinus virginianus

Wild Turkey Meleagris gallopavo

Common Loon Gavia immer

Neotropic Cormorant Phalacrocorax brasilianus

Brown Pelican Pelecanus occidentalis

Great Blue Heron Ardea herodias

Great Egret Ardea alba

Snowy Egret Egretta thula

Little Blue Heron Egretta caerulea

Tricolored Heron Egretta tricolor

Reddish Egret Egretta rufescens

Cattle Egret Bubulcus ibis

Green Heron Butorides virescens

White Ibis Eudocimus albus

White-faced Ibis Plegadis chihi

Roseate Spoonbill Platalea ajaja

Black Vulture Coragyps atratus

Turkey Vulture Cathartes aura

Osprey Pandion haliaetus

Red-shouldered Hawk Buteo lineatus

Black-necked Stilt Himantopus mexicanus

Killdeer Charadrius vociferus

Solitary Sandpiper Tringa solitaria

Greater Yellowlegs Tringa melanoleuca

Willet Tringa semipalmata

Lesser Yellowlegs Tringa flavipes

Upland Sandpiper Bartramia longicauda

Long-billed Curlew Numenius americanus

Ruddy Turnstone Arenaria interpres

Sanderling Calidris alba

Laughing Gull Leucophaeus atricilla

Franklin's Gull Leucophaeus pipixcan

Ring-billed Gull Larus delawarensis

Herring Gull Larus argentatus

Caspian Tern Hydroprogne caspia

Forster's Tern Sterna forsteri

Royal Tern Thalasseus maximus

Eurasian Collared-Dove Streptopelia decaocto

White-winged Dove Zenaida asiatica

Mourning Dove Zenaida macroura

Inca Dove Columbina inca

Common Ground-Dove Columbina passerina

Yellow-billed Cuckoo Coccyzus americanus

Common Nighthawk Chordeiles minor

Chimney Swift Chaetura pelagica

Ruby-throated Hummingbird Archilochus colubris

Golden-fronted Woodpecker Melanerpes aurifrons

Red-bellied Woodpecker Melanerpes carolinus

Ladder-backed Woodpecker Picoides scalaris

Pileated Woodpecker Dryocopus pileatus

Crested Caracara Caracara cheriway

Olive-sided Flycatcher Contopus cooperi

Eastern Wood-Pewee Contopus virens

Great Crested Flycatcher Myiarchus crinitus

Brown-crested Flycatcher Myiarchus tyrannulus

Western Kingbird Tyrannus verticalis

Eastern Kingbird Tyrannus tyrannus

Scissor-tailed Flycatcher Tyrannus forficatus

White-eyed Vireo Vireo griseus

Yellow-throated Vireo Vireo flavifrons

Northern Rough-winged Swallow Stelgidopteryx serripennis

Purple Martin Progne subis

Tree Swallow

Bank Swallow Riparia riparia

Barn Swallow Hirundo rustica

Cliff Swallow Petrochelidon pyrrhonota

Carolina Chickadee Poecile carolinensis

Sedge Wren Cistothorus platensis

Carolina Wren Thryothorus ludovicianus

Blue-gray Gnatcatcher Polioptila caerulea

Swainson's Thrush Catharus ustulatus

Gray Catbird Dumetella carolinensis

Curve-billed Thrasher Toxostoma curvirostre

Northern Mockingbird Mimus polyglottos

European Starling Sturnus vulgaris

Ovenbird Seiurus aurocapilla

Black-and-white Warbler Mniotilta varia

Swainson's Warbler Limnothlypis swainsonii

Tennessee Warbler Oreothlypis peregrina

Nashville Warbler Oreothlypis ruficapilla

Common Yellowthroat Geothlypis trichas

Magnolia Warbler Setophaga magnolia

Yellow Warbler Setophaga petechia

Black-throated Green Warbler Setophaga virens

Yellow-breasted Chat Icteria virens

Chipping Sparrow Spizella passerina

Vesper Sparrow Pooecetes gramineus

Lark Sparrow Chondestes grammacus

Lincoln's Sparrow Melospiza lincolnii

Scarlet Tanager Piranga olivacea

Northern Cardinal Cardinalis cardinalis

Blue Grosbeak Passerina caerulea

Indigo Bunting Passerina cyanea

Painted Bunting Passerina ciris

Dickcissel Spiza americana

Eastern Meadowlark Sturnella magna

Boat-tailed Grackle Quiscalus major

Great-tailed Grackle Quiscalus mexicanus

Bronzed Cowbird Molothrus aeneus

Brown-headed Cowbird Molothrus ater

Orchard Oriole Icterus spurius

Baltimore Oriole Icterus galbula