[texbirds] Rio Grande Valley birds and Osprey question

  • From: Peter Barnes <pbarnes123@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2013 21:19:06 -0600

Ross Rickett, Janet Cook and I have been birding in the Valley since Thursday
afternoon. We had 11 Mountain Plovers on Thursday afternoon on the north side
of CR 1600, 200 yards east of FM 2099, east of Sebastian. The birds were not
close to the road and moving rapidly in the dirt field. We did not see the
Prairie Falcon on CR 375, and had the Peregrine on the water tower there. There
were  170 Red-crowned Parrots at the Calvary Baptist Church in Harlingen
yesterday at dusk.

On Friday morning, at Bentsen State Park, we had 1-2 Gray Hawks near the Hawk
Tower, a Ringed Kingfisher at Kingfisher Overlook, a Merlin near the Hawk
Tower, 3 Black Phoebes in the canal by the headquarters, and 1 Clay-colored
Thrush in the garden by the headquarters.

We spent an hour looking for the Amazon Kingfisher on Friday afternoon with no
success. On Buena Vista Road, we had 12 species of raptors, including 1
Aplomado Falcon north of the Cameron County airport and 3 White-tailed Hawks. A
remarkable total of 9 Ospreys were flying over or just sitting in the fields
along a several mile stretch on Buena Vista Rd, nowhere near water. Is this
something that Ospreys do in the Valley? I have never seen this phenomenon
elsewhere.

This morning, on the bird walk at Estero Llano Grande SP, we had 1 Least Grebe,
3 Fulvous Whistling Ducks, 2 Cinnamon Teal, a roosting Common Pauraque, 1 Green
Kingfisher, and a Winter Wren, apparently uncommon here.

At UT Pan American in Edinburgh this afternoon, Ross spotted a female
Black-throated Gray Warbler and a Yellow-throated Warbler, which showed well in
trees on the south side of the Learning Center. At the Edinburgh Scenic
Wetlands, we 1 Ringed and 2 Green Kingfishers.

In the late afternoon today, we had 75 Green Parakeets at 10th and Dove in
McAllen, a relatively small flock, compared to our previous visits.

Peter Barnes
Tyler

Sent from my iPadEdit your Freelists account settings for TEXBIRDS at