[texbirds] Rio Beef Farm Feed Lot Area, Mar 1, 2013

  • From: Tim Brush <txbrush5@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TexBirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2013 12:30:06 -0600

After a week full of classes and meetings, John and I were happy to head
north to the area near Sal del Rey (Hidlago Co.). We did not go to that
salt lake itself, but headed north on Brushline Road (next report) and then
east to the Rio Beef feedlot area. We were following the lead of Dan Jones
and others, as we searched for Brewer's Blackbirds (which is very local in
the Valley), and we were not disappointed. They were easily visible from GI
Road, the east-west road that we were on, in a barren pasture where horses
were grazing. The full list for GI Road and the feedlot area is below.
Regards and good birding, Tim (and John) Brush

Rio Beef Farm Feed Lot Area, Hidalgo, US-TX
Mar 1, 2013 9:15 AM - 9:50 AM
Protocol: Traveling
2.0 mile(s)
16 species

White-tailed Hawk  2
Killdeer  5
Eurasian Collared-Dove  2
Mourning Dove  10
Common Ground-Dove  4
Greater Roadrunner  1
Ladder-backed Woodpecker  2
Eastern Phoebe  1
Loggerhead Shrike  3
Northern Mockingbird  10
Lark Sparrow  14
Northern Cardinal  2
Red-winged Blackbird  60
Western Meadowlark  25
Brewer's Blackbird  30    a mixed group of males (saw glossy head and
yellow eyes, long legs compared to cowbirds) and females interspersed
throughout the muddy field.
Brown-headed Cowbird  130

View this checklist online at

This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (http://ebird.org/tx)