[texbirds] Ringed Kingfishers in Austin possible courtship behavior

  • From: Greg Lasley <glasley@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TexBirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2014 16:39:50 -0600

Hello TexBirds,

I ran some errands in Austin this morning and had a little time to kill so I
went by Roy Guerrero Park in SE Austin between 10 and 11 AM. While I was on the
bluff overlooking Colorado River, I heard the loud calling of Ringed
Kingfishers coming toward me from the west. I saw a pair of birds chasing each
other in and out of trees, arching up in the air and diving back toward the
river, clearly engaged in interactions with one another. They perched together
on a limb across the river from me. I was able to get a few shots and posted
some at iNaturalist at the first link below and made an eBird post at the 2nd
link. I strongly suspect this pair may be interested in nesting on that big
dirt bluff….at least it is worth keeping an eye out for anyone visiting this
location. The iNat posting has the exact location.

Greg Lasley
Dripping Springs, Texas

http://www.inaturalist.org/observations/535707

http://ebird.org/ebird/tx/view/checklist?subID=S17077195Edit your Freelists