[texbirds] Rice U migrants - White-throated Sparrow

  • From: C-T Lee <cintylee@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 May 2012 08:04:47 -0500

Hi there,
There are still a few migrants trickling in.  This AM, I had the following
at Rice University
1 Indigo Bunting
1 Eastern Wood-Pewee
1 Least Flycatcher
1 Great Crested Flycatcher
1 White-throated Sparrow

Probably the best bird was the White-throated Sparrow, an adult male.  This
is the latest White-throat I've seen on the UTC.  The most interesting
phenomena for us has been this push of sparrows in the last week and a
half. Very small numbers, but we've had Savannah, Lark, Clay-colored,
Lincoln's, and now White-throated.  The last time we had any of these birds
on campus was during fall migration (they do not winter on campus).  Not
sure if this late spring push of sparrows is a pattern or just an anomaly
as we only recently discovered how good sparrow-hunting is at the Rice
weedlot.  Will have to wait 'til next year to see if this repeats.

C-T Lee
Houston