[texbirds] Rice U birds continued

  • From: C-T Lee <cintylee@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2012 10:39:41 -0500

Hi there,
this morning, Ben Van Allen and I did the usual circuit around Rice.  Our
weed lot from last year unfortunately has been reduced to a very narrow
strip (~10 ft wide) along a short fence (~150 ft long), but it still
produced some birds (this is at the SE corner of Wilton and Rice; or the NW
corner of O'Connor field)..  At dawn, we had Scissor-tailed Flycatchers
circling the soccer field, lots of Yellow-rumped Warblers, 1 Indigo Bunting
and 1 Dickcissel flying over, and in the weeds, there was a Marsh Wren, 1
Lincoln's Sparrow, 1 Hermit Thrush, 3 Red-winged Blackbirds, 1 Eastern
Phoebe, 1 Blue Grosbeak and 2 Nashville Warblers (the 2 Nashvilles were
seen at 930 am).  Hiding underneath the bleachers were half a dozen
Savannah Sparrows. Then in the prairie lot by the medical center, we had 1
Vesper Sparrow.  At the hummingbird/butterfly garden by Huff House near the
front entrance of campus, the Broad-tailed Hummingbird from yesterday was
still present.

CT Lee
Houston