[texbirds] Results of Baytown Nature Center Bird Count 3/19/15

  • From: "" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "DHanson139@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Tracey.Prothro@xxxxxxxxxxx, Christina.butcher@xxxxxxxxxxx, MaryAlice.Trumble@xxxxxxxxxxx, Jina.Faith@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2015 11:34:13 -0400

Ok, here are a few highlights from yesterdays bird count. I already posted
about the Prairie Warbler which was the first I have ever seen out there.
We  also found 3 Nelson's Sparrows and 2 Seaside Sparrows but the really neat
 surprise was when we had 8 Clapper Rails all calling at the same time. It
was  quite interesting. We got one going and the rest ended up joining it.
We had  already found one where the Nelson's Sparrows hang out. as well as a
Sora and  Virginia Rail. Another thing I would like to point out is you will
see I  have 3 Mallards classified as domestic type and then 2 more I called
wild. These  last two birds acted wild but I have no way of knowing for
sure. I grew up in  Lakewood right next to the Nature Center and I know there
have been domestic  Mallards out there around Burnett Bay for many years.

Link to Prairie Warbler and Nelson's Sparrow pictures.
http://smu.gs/1APKpmw

David  Hanson
Baytown/Mont Belvieu Area
TOS Member
Texas Master  Naturalist
FeatherFest 2015 Birding Program Leader
_dhanson139@aol.com_ (mailto:dhanson139@xxxxxxx)

       77 species  total   5 Black-bellied Whistling-Duck Dendrocygna
autumnalis  41 Gadwall Anas  strepera  19 American Wigeon Anas americana  2
Mallard Anas  platyrhynchos  3 Mallard (Domestic type) Anas platyrhynchos
(Domestic  type)  4 Mottled Duck Anas fulvigula  32 Blue-winged Teal Anas
discors
4 Green-winged Teal Anas crecca  3 Ruddy Duck Oxyura jamaicensis   7
Pied-billed Grebe Podilymbus podiceps  1 Eared Grebe Podiceps nigricollis  9
Neotropic Cormorant Phalacrocorax  brasilianus  10 Double-crested Cormorant
Phalacrocorax auritus  37 American White Pelican Pelecanus  erythrorhynchos  16
Brown Pelican Pelecanus occidentalis  2 Great Blue Heron Ardea herodias  9
Great Egret Ardea alba  4 Snowy Egret Egretta thula  2 Black-crowned
Night-Heron Nycticorax nycticorax  53 White Ibis Eudocimus albus  6 Roseate
Spoonbill
Platalea ajaja  3 Osprey Pandion  haliaetus  1 Northern Harrier Circus
cyaneus  1 Cooper's Hawk Accipiter cooperii  9 Clapper Rail Rallus crepitans
all
9 individuals heard  calling  1 Virginia Rail Rallus limicola  3 Sora
Porzana  carolina  23 American Coot Fulica americana  10 Semipalmated Plover
Charadrius semipalmatus  6 Killdeer Charadrius vociferus  6 Spotted Sandpiper
Actitis macularius  2 Willet Tringa  semipalmata  32 Dunlin Calidris alpina
116 Least Sandpiper Calidris minutilla  2 Western Sandpiper Calidris mauri
43 Laughing Gull Leucophaeus atricilla  4 Ring-billed Gull Larus delawarensis
 4 Herring Gull Larus argentatus  1 Caspian Tern Hydroprogne caspia  5
Forster's Tern Sterna forsteri  2 Rock Pigeon (Feral Pigeon) Columba livia
(Feral  Pigeon)  13 White-winged Dove Zenaida asiatica  9 Mourning Dove Zenaida
macroura  2 Belted Kingfisher Megaceryle alcyon  3 Red-bellied Woodpecker
Melanerpes carolinus  2 Downy Woodpecker Picoides pubescens  1 Northern Flicker
Colaptes auratus  1 Loggerhead Shrike Lanius ludovicianus  12 Blue Jay
Cyanocitta cristata  3 Purple Martin Progne subis  3 Carolina Chickadee Poecile
carolinensis  3 House Wren Troglodytes aedon  1 Sedge Wren Cistothorus
platensis  17 Marsh Wren Cistothorus palustris  11 Carolina Wren Thryothorus
ludovicianus  3 Ruby-crowned Kinglet Regulus calendula  1 Brown Thrasher
Toxostoma rufum  13 Northern Mockingbird Mimus polyglottos  109 European
Starling
Sturnus vulgaris  106 Cedar Waxwing Bombycilla cedrorum  3 Orange-crowned
Warbler Oreothlypis celata  2 Common Yellowthroat Geothlypis trichas  8
Yellow-rumped Warbler Setophaga coronata  1 Prairie Warbler Setophaga discolor
  4
Savannah Sparrow Passerculus  sandwichensis  3 Nelson's Sparrow Ammodramus
nelsoni  2 Seaside Sparrow Ammodramus maritimus  2 Song Sparrow Melospiza
melodia  1 Lincoln's Sparrow Melospiza lincolnii  12 Swamp Sparrow Melospiza
georgiana  2 White-throated Sparrow Zonotrichia albicollis  8 White-crowned
Sparrow Zonotrichia leucophrys  14 Northern Cardinal Cardinalis cardinalis
18 Red-winged Blackbird Agelaius phoeniceus  2 Common Grackle Quiscalus
quiscula  10 Great-tailed Grackle Quiscalus mexicanus  40 Brown-headed Cowbird
Molothrus ater  4 House Sparrow Passer  domesticus