[texbirds] Respite from Doldrums (Local)

  • From: Elliott Gordon <tengalloncat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TexBirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2013 22:54:41 -0500

Eastern Kingbirds are hard to track down in Austin, but one was on a wire
near Highland Mall today.
At school, the barn swallows are back on the nest, purple martins close to
(if not yet) fledging. Western Kingbirds seem to have settled down a
little, maybe a dozen around the grounds.

Common Nighthawks can be seen at varying times of afternoon and evening
near Murchison Middle School and the adjacent HEB. Western Kingbirds are
truly urban -- I see them in almost every parking lot around town.

At home, I have not heard the Bewick's Wren singing for a little while. A
family of Canyon Wrens occupied the yard today. A stunning Great Roadrunner
perched on deck railing briefly. They are quite sporadic. Barn Swallows
have at least two white chicks, and bring food every 5 minutes or more,
briefly taking rest in the shade. Black-crested Titmice may have a second
brood, or a different family came by today. Every evening, Cliff Swallows
feed directly over the Ashe Juniper trees behind my house, swirling low and
off into the distance. One or two Northern Mockingbirds have been roaming
since the weekend, they show medium length tails and faint speckling. A
Turkey Vulture is almost regular between 6 and 7.

When I get a chance, I'll post some swallow photos and try to take more of
the feedings.

Hopefully, I will get out this weekend to St. Edwards Park to look for
Golden-cheeked Warblers (and maybe get a picture).

Elliott Gordon
AF5HH
NW Austin