[texbirds] Resaca de la Palma State Park - Thursday eBird

  • From: Sherry Wilson <rollingsoles@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2012 13:20:44 -0500

Water is back in the resaca and our water birds are starting to return.
This morning we were birding through a cloud of snouts.  Once again
American Snout butterflies seem to be everywhere in the park.   It was
another nice flycatcher morning, with many young myiarchus deep in the
foliage (along with hundreds of snouts) plus a single Scissor-tailed just
before a short morning shower arrived.  The Swallow-tailed Kite hasn't been
seen for close to a week but White-tailed Kites are regulars.

If you're out for an evening walk you should see large numbers of
nighthawks over the water and grasslands.  Don't forget to use the self-pay
station to register when you arrive after 5 PM.

--
Sherry Wilson
Resident Park Host

Bird Walks every Saturday - 8:30 a.m. - 11:00 a.m.
Butterfly Walks every Sunday - 1:30 p.m. - 2:30 p.m.
Night Hikes every Friday (must RSVP by 5:00 p.m. Thurs)  - small fee
Nature Tram Rides - Thursday thru Sunday

http://www.facebook.com/resacadelapalma

DIRECTIONS:  The main entrance to Resaca de la Palma State Park is located
on New Carmen Blvd. From Expressway 77/83, exit at Olmito, take FM 1732,
follow for 2.5 miles; turn left at New Carmen Road; follow for 1.5 miles;
shortly after the gravel hump in the road, turn left to enter the park.

*Learn how you can help Texas State Parks:*  http://bit.ly/sVdilb

39 species (+1 other taxa)
Black-bellied Whistling-Duck  2
Plain Chachalaca  9