[texbirds] Resaca de la Palma SP - Saturday Bird Walk

  • From: Sherry Wilson <rollingsoles@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Dec 2014 12:17:22 -0600

Altamira Orioles were busy at the feeders at the start of the bird walk.
The water feature and garden areas are also the easiest places to get good
looks at Olive Sparrows.  A Northern Harrier did a nice high flyover at the
second bridge, where there were plenty of Mottled Ducks and Great
Kiskadees.  At the Hunter's Lane resaca we found several Solitary
Sandpipers plus  Greater Yellowlegs that were best seen through the scope.
We had close looks at a couple Black-and-white Warblers.
Next week we are expecting water to flow into the south resaca and that
should bring more wintering ducks into visible and accessible areas.
Sherry Wilson
Resident Park Host
Resaca de la Palma State Park
956-350-2920

*Nature Hike *Friday:  9:30 a.m. - 10:30 a.m.
*Bird Walk* Saturday:  8:30 a.m. - 10:30 a.m.
*Butterfly Walk* Sunday:  1:30 p.m. - 2:30 p.m..
*Night Hike* last Friday of the month (RSVP by 5:00 p.m. Thurs)  - small fee
*Nature Tram Rides*:  Wednesday thru Sunday
(Visitor Center closed Mon/Tues)
http://www.facebook.com/resacadelapalma

 Mottled Duck 8
Plain Chachalaca X heard only