[texbirds] Resaca de la Palma & Boca Chica Beach

  • From: MiriamEagl@xxxxxxx
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 9 Jun 2013 17:11:01 -0400 (EDT)

Hi, all!

Pat Heirs and I decided to take a crack at the Yellow-green Vireo hanging
out at Resaca de la Palma; long story short, it was seen by Ranger Reuben
this  morning and Bob Becker yesterday, but neither Pat nor I could refind the
bird  (he said it would often dive out from the bottom canopy of a huisache
tree and  dip up into the next one).  Although we dipped on the vireo, we
had great  looks at some of their signature butterflies, including a very
cooperative  Boisduval's Yellow!  The little slough near the Visitor's Center
now had  water in it, so a Little Blue Heron was fishing.  On the way into
the park  we had stopped at a little wetland and picked up stilts and
Black-bellied  Whistling Ducks, while an Avocet called unseen from another
resaca.

We knew of a report of another YG Vireo in "urban Brownsville", and hoping
it was the same area where Pat had seen it during previous years, we headed
out  to that neighborhood, but trying to pull out a House Sparrow-like song
from  dozens of real House Sparrows was a challenge!  So we left it at
that,  enjoying the feral Muscovy Ducks (one seemed to show all the
characteristics of  a truly "wild" bird)!

From there we decided to do Boca Chica Boulevard in hopes of kicking up an
Aplomado Falcon, but nada; we added several expected grassland birds such
as  Botteri's and Cassin's Sparrows, and at least got a White-tailed and
Harris'  Hawk out of it!  At Dan's little Rio Grande access spot we watched a
Willet  chase a Laughing Gull away from its nest/chicks, enjoyed a Skimmer
that came  sailing in, a Least Tern fishing, and a fly-by Long-billed Curlew.
Further  down on the playas were several shorebirds, including a lingering
White-rumped  Sandpiper in with a flock of Westerns, four kinds of plovers
(including some  ADORABLE Snowy Plover chicks), and several Ruddy Turnstones
along with the  requisite Reddish Egrets of both flavors dancing away.  We
didn't get very  far down the beach before it was time to go home, but we
enjoyed a big flock of  Sanderlings and a Wilson's Plover, picked up Brown
Pelican and Royal Tern for  the day, and pondered over a breeding-plumaged
Sterna
tern that we settled on  Forster's.

Pictures are posted here:

http://miriameaglemon.com/photo_gallery/2013%20Field%20Trips/June/Resaca%20d
e%20la%20Palma.html

Ended up with 76 species for the day.  Bird List:

  Black-bellied  Whistling-Duck          Dendrocygna  autumnalis
Muscovy  Duck                           Cairina moschata
Plain  Chachalaca                       Ortalis vetula
Northern  Bobwhite                      Colinus virginianus
Brown  Pelican                          Pelecanus occidentalis
Great Blue  Heron                       Ardea herodias
Little Blue  Heron                      Egretta caerulea
Reddish  Egret                          Egretta rufescens
Green  Heron                            Butorides virescens
Turkey  Vulture                         Cathartes aura
Harris's  Hawk                          Parabuteo unicinctus
White-tailed  Hawk                      Geranoaetus albicaudatus
Black-bellied  Plover                   Pluvialis squatarola
Snowy  Plover                           Charadrius nivosus
Wilson's  Plover                        Charadrius wilsonia
Semipalmated  Plover                    Charadrius semipalmatus
Killdeer                               Charadrius vociferus
Black-necked  Stilt                     Himantopus mexicanus
American  Avocet                        Recurvirostra americana
Willet                                 Tringa semipalmata
Long-billed  Curlew                     Numenius americanus
Ruddy  Turnstone                        Arenaria interpres
Sanderling                             Calidris alba
Western  Sandpiper                      Calidris mauri
White-rumped  Sandpiper                 Calidris fuscicollis
Laughing  Gull                          Leucophaeus atricilla
Least  Tern                             Sternula antillarum
Caspian  Tern                           Hydroprogne caspia
Forster's  Tern                         Sterna forsteri
Royal  Tern                             Thalasseus maximus
Black  Skimmer                          Rynchops niger
Rock  Pigeon                            Columba livia
White-winged  Dove                      Zenaida asiatica
Mourning  Dove                          Zenaida macroura
Inca  Dove                              Columbina inca
Common  Ground-Dove                     Columbina passerina
White-tipped  Dove                      Leptotila verreauxi
Yellow-billed  Cuckoo                   Coccyzus americanus
Greater  Roadrunner                     Geococcyx californianus
Common  Nighthawk                       Chordeiles minor
Common  Pauraque                        Nyctidromus albicollis
Chimney  Swift                          Chaetura pelagica
Buff-bellied  Hummingbird               Amazilia yucatanensis
Golden-fronted  Woodpecker              Melanerpes aurifrons
Ladder-backed  Woodpecker               Picoides scalaris
Brown-crested  Flycatcher               Myiarchus tyrannulus
Great  Kiskadee                         Pitangus sulphuratus
Couch's  Kingbird                       Tyrannus couchii
Scissor-tailed  Flycatcher              Tyrannus forficatus
White-eyed  Vireo                       Vireo griseus
Green  Jay                              Cyanocorax yncas
Horned  Lark                            Eremophila alpestris
Purple  Martin                          Progne subis
Cave  Swallow                           Petrochelidon fulva
Black-crested  Titmouse                 Baeolophus atricristatus
Verdin                                 Auriparus flaviceps
Carolina  Wren                          Thryothorus ludovicianus
Bewick's  Wren                          Thryomanes bewickii
Cactus  Wren                            Campylorhynchus brunneicapillus
Northern  Mockingbird                   Mimus polyglottos
Long-billed  Thrasher                   Toxostoma longirostre
Curve-billed  Thrasher                  Toxostoma curvirostre
European  Starling                      Sturnus vulgaris
Olive  Sparrow                          Arremonops rufivirgatus
Botteri's  Sparrow                      Peucaea botterii
Cassin's  Sparrow                       Peucaea cassinii
Lark  Sparrow                           Chondestes grammacus
Northern  Cardinal                      Cardinalis cardinalis
Blue  Grosbeak                          Passerina caerulea
Red-winged  Blackbird                   Agelaius phoeniceus
Eastern  Meadowlark                     Sturnella magna
Great-tailed  Grackle                   Quiscalus mexicanus
Bronzed  Cowbird                        Molothrus aeneus
Brown-headed  Cowbird                   Molothrus ater
Altamira  Oriole                        Icterus gularis
House  Sparrow                          Passer domesticus
76 SPECIES

Mary Beth  Stowe
McAllen, TX
_www.miriameaglemon.com_ (http://www.miriameaglemon.com/)