[texbirds] Re: Requiem for a Birder

  • From: "Lori Markoff" <canyoneagle@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <hforbes@xxxxxxxxx>, "'Texbirds'" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Dec 2013 07:46:05 -0800

Harry, thank you for telling us about Carolyn.  I was also a fan.  I
traveled through the Panhandle occasionally so started reading her posts for
news of birds in that area.  But it was Carolyn's warm friendliness and
sense of humor that inspired me to start chatting with her.  This is just
one example, a snippet from her post of 5/9/12 that I saved:

<snip>

Friday 11th had FOS Northern Oriole.  Saturday 12th had a FOS Broad-tailed
Hummingbird (which my resident Roadrunner, George, promptly caught and ate).

Carolyn Stallwitz
4 miles SW of Dumas, Texas FM 722, Moore County
50 North of Amarillo in The Panhandle

<snip>

Carolyn worked at the Museum/Art Center on Dumas Avenue and invited me to
stop and visit her on my next trip through.  I'm sorry to say that I never
managed to do that.

Harry, please let us know where we can send our condolences, and if there is
a fund to honor her memory.  If there isn't, Carolyn was a TOS Life Member
so perhaps a donation to TOS in her memory would be fitting.

Lori Markoff
Eugene, OR

When the posts from Carolyn stopped, I asked Shelly about the situation and
she broke the terrible news that Carolyn had been diagnosed with pancreatic
cancer.

Carolyn lost her battle yesterday.  She suffers no more.  I have lost a
friend...and the birding community is poorer for the loss.  But as long as I
am on this earth, the memories remain.

Thought maybe some of you would like to know.

Harry Forbes (San Antonio and Port Alto.....and in my heart, on the farm, 4
miles SW of Dumas, Moore County, 45 miles north of Amarillo)