[texbirds] Requesting reports of Peru Banded Shorebirds

  • From: "Stevan Hawkins" <shawkins4@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'Texbirds'" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 May 2013 11:24:13 -0500

TexBirders:

David Sarkozi approved posting the request below from a bird bander who
works on shorebirds in Peru.

Good luck!

Steve

Stevan Hawkins

San Antonio TX

Forwarding request for sightings reports of  Shorebirds banded in Peru:

(see bottom of email for where to send reports)

Dear everyone,

We hope all of you are more than well. As we are in the middle of the
northwards migration, we would like you to know a little more about our
actual work with shorebirds in Peru. After 2 years of fieldwork in Paracas
National Reserve, we have banded 1680 shorebirds, between semipalmated and
western sandpipers, sanderlings and semipalmated plover. The 90% of our
captures were semipalmated and western sandpipers. But we also have banded
(2) red knots and few ruddy turnstones. We use an incoloy band in the right
tarsus and a yellow flag with red letters in the left leg.

Currently we are just waiting to see if anyone in the northern hemisphere is
seeing these individuals at any time and at any point.  It would be very
exciting for us to have any resighting, and we collaborate with:
www.bandedbirds.org , but you can also feel free to contact me directly if
you see any of our marked individuals.

We are going to start another field campaign this coming October which will
last until March 2014. So we hope to continue gathering as much data as
possible.

Thank you very much for your time and please feel free to distribute this
flyer (attached) to anyone interested in shorebirds conservation.

Warmest regards,
Eveling

--
BSc. Eveling Tavera Fernandez, Coordinadora
Programa de Anillamiento CORBIDI (PAC)

**** Para mayor información sobre el Programa de Anillamiento de Aves en
Peru por favor visite: www.corbidi.org ****
**** For more information about the Banding Program in Peru please visit: