[texbirds] Request for ID, Laredo TX

  • From: Holly Reinhard <holly.reinhard@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2013 09:03:46 -0500

Hello Texbirders,
Migration has been great here lately. Yesterday at Lake Casa Blanca I had a
bunch of migratory birds on Mesquite Bend trail, where usually it is just
"monte" (brush) birds like Pyrrhuloxia, Cactus Wren, etc. But yesterday I
had

- Yellow-breasted Chat
- Wilson's Warbler
- Grasshopper Sparrow
- another sparrow whose ID I couldn't catch, due to a quick look. Perhaps a
*Spizella,* not sure.
- Nashville Warbler
- Myiarchus Flycatcher
- Blue-headed Vireo (at least I think this is what it was. Vireo, very
bright, with yellow/green underparts and nice "spectacles".)
- Black-throated sparrow singing (yes, traditional "monte" bird, and
non-migratory, but gorgeous just the same)

and a very intriguing little bird whose ID I would like help with. Link to
photos is below:
*
http://tinyurl.com/omyp3cy

*
 My thoughts:

- The yellow on the back part of the underside is probably exaggerated in
the photos due to the evening light (took these pics around 7 pm), but
despite not being perhaps as bright in the photos, it *was* yellow below
- Eye ring (or maybe eye arc? It actually kind of looks like the ring is
broken) is interesting, but...
-WINGBARS! Very, very obvious buffy/white wingbar.

Warbler or vireo? I am very eager to know what others' thoughts are on this
little bird. I think it's a warbler....but I really am quite perplexed!

Thanks and good birding,

Holly Reinhard
Laredo, TX