[texbirds] Re: Reporting locations of rare sightings

  • From: Adam Wood <birdsondabrain@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TexBirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2013 10:53:33 -0500

Adding to the point that Mark spends a lot of time finding his own interesting
birds and that the rest of the birding community is free to do and should do
the same thing. I think this is asking a bit much. Mark is in an enviable
position that his photography is outstanding and it is able to support his life
style thus enabling him to be able to spend a large quantity of hours in the
field with the birds that only increases his odds of finding a really
interesting bird. I realize there are many birders out there like him or are
retired that can put in the necessary number of field hours to find an
interesting bird but then there are those of us who work 40 hours a week day
jobs and don't have the ability to easily put in the hours that it requires to
increase the odds of finding that interesting bird. We rely on others sharing
their good finds with us to be able to see a fair number of rarities. Would we
rather find our own rarity I would like to say most of us would say yes but
since we don't have the time to find many of our own we really appreciate the
chance to chase a previously reported one.

I agree that the finder has the right to not disclose the location but I wish
in instances where they elect to not disclose the location that they don't post
to a public forum that they saw the bird and keep the record quite aside from
submitting it to the TBRC for review. Then the rest of us can enjoy another
good record for Texas vicariously with out getting bent out of shape for not
being able to get the opportunity to chase it since by the time the committee
has voted on the record the bird will be long gone and no longer chaseable.
Just my thoughts.

Adam Wood
Houston, Tx.

Sent from my iPhone