[texbirds] Re: Reporting locations

  • From: "Rex Stanford" <calidris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TEXBIRDS" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2013 17:14:15 -0500

I concur with Richard, Dan, Brush, and Jim (reverse chronological order of
posting) in regard specifically to Mark's right not to disclose the location
of this bird. We all need, in confronting such a conundrum, thoughtfully to
consider what plausibly could happen, in the case of disclosure, to the
"target" bird, to other birds or wildlife that may need to use the same
locale, to the habitat itself, to the interests of property owners (if the
bird is in such a locale or if widespread disclosure could reasonably be
deemed to threaten those interests), and to other persons who may
legitimately have rights to the area who have other interests, if disclosure
arguably would affront those interests. In sum, due consideration should be
given to biological, environmental, and social responsibility, and a
decision yes/no be made about disclosure. Even if one is incredibly excited
about one's find and wishes to "shout it from the mountaintops," some
soul-searching should, I suggest, precede (and sometimes should obviate)
that. One may even wish to consult on that decision, confidentially, with
experienced birders who are known to have a sense of responsibility in
regard to what they do relative to birding. In the end, the decision will be
one's own, but it may be hoped that birding ethics and social responsibility
will be given their due weight in such a decision. I know that such a
decision often can be an agonizing matter, for I once had to confront such a
decision myself. I strongly desire to share, but there can be other
considerations.

We live in a time of huge numbers of birders who can learn quickly of such
sightings and head out, cameras on the ready. Sheer numbers can have
devastating consequences, even if all are well behaved. We therefore must
recognize that norms of the past sometimes may be unsuitable today.

The above certainly is not to suggest that rare birds should not be
publicly reported to birding forum(s), simply that the consequences of one's
decision about so doing should be deeply, thoroughly and honestly pondered
before making a decision and acting on it. In many cases, such
reporting may be deemed appropriate and desirable, including as payback if
one regularly uses the tip-offs of others to guide one's birding. There,
though, are times when it may be inappropriate. What one often would
do is not necessarily the thing one should do in specific instance(s).

Finally, notifying a public forum that one has found a prized rarity but
with site not disclosed obviously can occasion resentment among some
birders. I doubt that anyone would disagree with that.

Rex Stanford
McAllen TX