[texbirds] Report from TOS trip to Lost Maples on May 4

  • From: "Georgina Schwartz" <gbird@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "TOS-List" <tos-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "texbirds" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 5 May 2013 16:21:09 -0500

Today (Saturday, May 4) Texas Ornithological Society (TOS) sponsored a
field trip to Lost Maples State Natural Area in support of Texas Parks
and Wildlife Department. Attendance was very low, but the birds were
great! Everybody saw at least 49 species, with several seen (or heard)
by single trip participants.

Highlights:

Probably the best bird (at least the least expected) was a
White-tipped
Dove that was near the bird blind at the overflow parking area. This
bird was present as we started the trip at 8:15, and was still in the
area when we returned from the morning hike at 1:25. Several photos
were
taken, just in case some documentation is requested.

Good looks were had of both the Golden-cheeked Warbler and the
Black-capped Vireo. The vireo was not heard at all, while
Golden-cheeks
were heard in several areas along the east trail. Initial expectations
were that the Golden-cheeks might be silent, as they have been in the
area long enough to have completed the mating process, and probably
also
the nest-building process. But they were quite vocal, to the point
that
seeing the bird was a real treat rather long in coming.

A Hutton's vireo was seen clearly; a Bell's Vireo was heard clearly;
and
the expected White-eyed Vireo and Red-eyed Vireos were seen and heard
several times.

One Zone-tailed Hawk was seen. Swainson's Hawk appeared several times,
but we were not sure if it was one individual or multiples.

The entire list:

Great Blue Heron
Black Vulture
Turkey Vulture
Swainson's Hawk
Zone-tailed Hawk
Red-tailed Hawk
White-winged Dove
Mourning Dove
White-tipped Dove
Yellow-billed Cuckoo
Black-chinned Hummingbird
Ladder-backed Woodpecker
Eastern Wood-Pewee
Yellow-bellied Flycatcher
Acadian Flycatcher
Least Flycatcher
Eastern Phoebe
Ash-throated Flycatcher
White-eyed Vireo
Bell's Vireo
Black-capped Vireo
Hutton's Vireo
Red-eyed Vireo
Western Scrub-Jay
Carolina Chickadee
Black-crested Titmouse
Canyon Wren
Carolina Wren
Bewick's Wren
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher
Northern Mockingbird
Northern Waterthrush
Black-and-white Warbler
Nashville Warbler
Yellow-throated Warbler
Golden-cheeked Warbler
Chipping Sparrow
Clay-colored Sparrow
Lincoln's Sparrow
Summer Tanager
Northern Cardinal
Blue Grosbeak
Lazuli Bunting
Indigo Bunting
Painted Bunting
Red-winged Blackbird
Scott's Oriole
House Finch
Pine Siskin

In addition, on the way to lunch, four more species were seen: Common
Raven, Loggerhead Shrike, Great-tailed Grackle and House Sparrow.

Stay tuned for more TOS-sponsored field trips to Texas Parks and
Wildlife Department destinations in Region 5.

Russell Nelson
TOS Regional Director - Edwards Plateau (Region 5)
Austin