[texbirds] Red-throated Loon still at Union Grove WMA;

  • From: Dodge Engleman <dodgebirder@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2014 21:29:24 -0500

Friday morning my wife, Lorna, and I arrived at the viewing point at Union
Grove WMA in mid morning and after about 45 minutes finally had the
Red-throated Loon come into view.  Except for coots there was not much else
on the water and only coots (and  a breeding plumage Common Loon) were close
enough to have enjoyable views.  All the rest were seen with scope zoomed up
to over 50x.
A few grebes were around, mostly Pied-billed, a few Eared in nearly complete
breeding plumage, and couple of Podiceps in winter plumage.  Because of the
distance and the scope movement from the wind (at least minimal heat wave
distortion!) I couldn't call them for sure but one appeared to be a
Red-necked Grebe, based on comparative size, grayish-buffy anterior neck,
and apparently longer, heavier bill.

Unfortunately the distance and the viewing conditions put the observer at a
disadvantage this morning but at least the Red-throated Loon and probably
the Red-necked Grebe are still around.

A note for those unfamiliar with the area (as we were); leaving I-35 take FM
2484 west and exit on Union Grove Lane, NOT Union Grove Park Road farther to
the west.  When the asphalt ends there is a cattle guard after which it
becomes gravel.  Shortly thereafter is a gravel parking lot with a swing
gate that prevents driving closer to the lake.  But it doesn't prevent
walking proceed along that gravel road heading NE to the lake.  It
eventually (+/- 25 minutes without stopping to bird) goes into the lake.  We
had the loon and grebes to the right of where it enters the lake, very far
out where there are lots of drowned trees in the water, but it has been seen
to the left as well and walking the shore to the left can also be
productive.