[texbirds] Re: Red-naped Sapsucker - YES

  • From: "Bob Simmons" <bsimmons@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2015 16:33:48 -0600

Margret and I saw the Red-naped Sapsucker for 20-25 minutes in the same place
(live oak
behind Marker 15) around 10:30 this morning.

--
On 7 Feb 2015 at 19:14, you wrote:

> Three of us saw the male quite well in the live oak behind marker 15 around
> 4 p.m.  It gleaned steadily on the same branch for at least 20 minutes
> before we (not the bird) left.  Very striking!
> Thanks for the excellent points of reference!
>
> Jack Evins
> Austin & Galveston
> On Feb 5, 2015 10:46 AM, "Redacted sender DHanson139@xxxxxxx for DMARC" <
> dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Sorry for the late post but yesterday Jan and I ran over to San Jacinto
> > State Park to look one more time for the Red-naped Sapsucker. We got there
> > about  1PM and we had no more than put our boots on and I noticed a
> > woodpekerish bird  fly from limb to limb on one of the Water Oaks just to
> > the West of
> > the marker  15. We were able to watch it for about 20 minutes going from
> > oaks
> > to pecans and  occasionally into the Live Oak right behind the marker 15. I
> > finally got the  scope out to make sure it was the correct bird and sure
> > enough it was the male.  It was overcast so pictures were not great but we
> > did
> > get ID photos. Link  below.
> >
> > http://smu.gs/1Kv35MY
> >

> > David  Hanson
> > Baytown/Mont Belvieu Area
> > TOS Member
> > Texas Master  Naturalist
> > FeatherFest 2015 Birding Program  Leader
> > dhanson139@xxxxxxx
> > Edit your Freelists account settings for TEXBIRDS at
> > //www.freelists.org/list/texbirds
> >
> > Reposting of traffic from TEXBIRDS is prohibited without seeking permission
> > from the List Owner

Bob Simmons
Houston, Texas
bsimmons@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

A fanatic is a man who does what he thinks the Lord would do
if only He knew the facts of the case. -- Finley Peter Dunne