[texbirds] Red-headed Woodpecker SPI and a reminder on ethics

  • From: Mary Gustafson <live4birds@xxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2014 19:42:44 -0400 (EDT)

Hi all!

A Red-headed Woodpecker was found today on South Padre Island at the Sheepshead
lots.  The bird is moving around on adjacent streets.

The mass of birders on SPI expecting a fallout has caused some locals to call
me and ask me directly to "do something" about birder behavior.  A reminder of
the ABA code of birding ethics http://www.aba.org/about/ethics.html seems to be
in order.

I was also asked specifically to post on TEXBIRDS a reminder to stay out of
private property, which means to bird from the sidewalk or curb.   Lots without
houses are private property and should not be entered without the owner's
permission.

Please all, respect the birds, the locals, and each other.

In general, it sounds like more birders than birds at the Convention Center,
with an early Canada, an Acadian Fly, while the star of the show at Sheepshead
was the male Cerulean. Regular species included Indigo and Painted Bunting,
Blue Grosbeak, Orchard and Baltimore Oriole, and streams of Franklin's Gulls.

I did not head over today, having far too much work (and too many travel
plans).

Thanks

Mary Gustafson
Mission, Texas