[texbirds] Re: Reddish Egret in White Morph

  • From: "John Arvin" <jarvin@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <foundnatureblog@xxxxxxxxx>, "passerinaciris12@xxxxxxxxx" <passerinaciris12@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 May 2015 13:44:16 -0500

White morph Reddish Egrets are found the length of the Texas coast but are
most common (about 1:1 with dark morph) on South Padre Island. The mainland
shore of the Laguna Madre is more heavily weighted towerd dark morph birds
than is the island shore. It is an interesting question why there appears
to be a partial habitat segregation by the two morphs. I have never
actually counted the numbers of white vs. dark morphs and this is just my
impression. Mike Farmer, former Nation Audubon Society coastal biologist
gathered a lot of data back in the late 80s/early 90s on Reddish Egrets on
the lower Texas coast including documenting massive feeding concentrations
of 700 - 800 birds in late summer, especially in the shallow lagoons of the
Boca Chica area, where industrialization (an LNG plant and a ridiculous
"space port") threaten to destroy the fragile ecosystem.

John C. Arvin
Research Associate
Gulf Coast Bird Observatory
103 West Hwy 332