[texbirds] Reddish Egret at Delta Lake

  • From: txbrush@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2012 13:45:21 -0700 (PDT)

I was quite surprised to see a Reddish Egret at Delta Lake County park this
morning--of greatetst interest for an inland (Hidalgo County) record. The bird
was easy to see just after I drove past the entrance station, but I did not see
it again on the way out. The lake continues to be pretty low, so there is lots
of shoreline here and there where it could have moved.

Regards and good birding,
Tim Brush
Edinburg, TX

Delta Lake (LTC 008), Hidalgo, US-TX
Jul 26, 2012 8:20 AM - 9:55 AM
Protocol: Traveling
0.8 mile(s)
Comments:     as usual, walked along edge of wetlands and Midge Island; later
drove through south end. Park now free Mon.-Sat.
32 species

Black-bellied Whistling-Duck  2
Fulvous Whistling-Duck  12
Neotropic Cormorant  8
Reddish Egret 1 juvenile, along water's edge just after entrance station
Great Egret  1
Green Heron  2
Turkey Vulture  12
American Coot  1
Killdeer  4
Black-necked Stilt  3
Spotted Sandpiper  1
Greater Yellowlegs  1
Least Sandpiper  7
Stilt Sandpiper  1     still in breeding plumage
Laughing Gull  4
Caspian Tern  1
Black Tern  1
Eurasian Collared-Dove  4     2 pairs in main park
White-winged Dove  80     almost all in south end--open Texas ebony woods
Mourning Dove  8
Golden-fronted Woodpecker  2
Scissor-tailed Flycatcher  2     pair on Midge Island
Cave Swallow  6
Bewick's Wren  1     Midge Island
Northern Mockingbird  3
Common Starling  12     mixed with icterids
Common Yellowthroat  9     8 singing males--saw 2--and one male seen only
Olive Sparrow  1     Midge Island
Red-winged Blackbird  50     most in marsh; 10 with other icterids
Great-tailed Grackle  80     50 in marsh; 30 in open park--loosely with other
icterids
Bronzed Cowbird  8     5 with other icterids, 3 in south end
Brown-headed Cowbird  80     about 3/4 male and 1/4 female
House Sparrow  6

This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (http://ebird.org/tx)