[texbirds] Red-cockaded Woodpecker in Montgomery County

  • From: Marie Stewart <littlebitrv@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TEXBIRDS <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 06 Jul 2013 17:14:46 -0500

Today I wanted to see some Woodpeckers especially Red-cockaded
Woodpecker so I headed to one of my favorite spots Goodrich Jones State
Forest on FM 1488. I saw 4 different species of Woodpeckers Red-headed
came first then Red-cockaded Woodpecker, Downy and Red-bellied
Woodpecker. The Red-cockaded was the most seen as I had 3 that stayed
close to where I was for over 30 min. It was a dream come true for me as
I had only seen 2 before this time and only very briefly maybe a minute
total. and only a couple of photos that where not very good. Today I got
about 100 shots that where good. The Downy Woodpecker played in almost
the same area as the Red-cockaded Woodpeckers. There where also Summer
Tanagers, Eastern Bluebird,*Tufted Titmouse, Northern Cardinal * and
Brown-headed Nuthatch. They where all in the same area along the trail
in about 60 yards of each other. The only other area I saw birds was
behind the Office by the flowers.
I hope you enjoy the Photos and I wanted to thank all those that wrote
and told me how much the like the Swallow-tailed Kite photos and the
Purple Gallinule photos.
These have only one in each photo but they are closer photos
http://www.flickr.com/photos/birdsareforever/9223648599
http://www.flickr.com/photos/birdsareforever/9223649065
http://www.flickr.com/photos/birdsareforever/9226428274
http://www.flickr.com/photos/birdsareforever/9226430612
http://www.flickr.com/photos/birdsareforever/9226433260

These have 2 Red-cockaded Woodpeckers in the same photo
http://www.flickr.com/photos/birdsareforever/9223658655
http://www.flickr.com/photos/birdsareforever/9223648289
http://www.flickr.com/photos/birdsareforever/9226424028

Marie Stewart