[texbirds] Red-breasted Nuthatches in west Austin

  • From: Mikael Behrens <mikaelb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TexBirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2012 22:40:44 -0500

Howdy,

Tuesday morning, 10/30/2012 I spent 1.5 hours birding Hill Country
Conservancy's Nalle Bunny Run Wildlife Preserve. The highlight was finding
three Red-breasted Nuthatches foraging in an area of cedar elm trees. I was
able to get some photographs, one of them shows two birds. These were my first
ever in Travis County.

It was an interesting morning. I photographed possibly the same Golden-fronted
Woodpecker I reported here earlier, that might by a hybrid
Golden-fronted/Red-bellied. I also got a distant photo of a mostly white
leucistic Red-tailed Hawk which has lived in this area for several years. I saw
my first Spotted Towhee and heard my first Golden-crowned Kinglets of the
season.

Here are the photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mikael_behrens/sets/72157631900178186/with/8143547875/

And here's my complete list from the morning:

The Nalle Bunny Run is located by the Pennybacker Bridge on the south bank of
Lake Austin. Currently the only public access is a monthly bird and nature walk
on the third Saturday. More info can be found about the preserve and about HCC
here:

http://www.hillcountryconservancy.org/land-projects/private-land-preservation/nalle-bunny-run-wildlife-preserve/

Mikael Behrens
Austin